My Blog List

Thursday, April 22, 2010

I Spy Table


This is a hard picture to capture...not that I'm very good at the picture-taking art to begin with. I conceived an idea to make an I Spy table over a year ago. I've been collecting this junk since that time. The other reason the table took so long was that I didn't have the know-how. My MIL offered to help and so the table finally became a reality! This is how it came together...


We used trim and strong glue to build up the edge of the table. My hubby cut tiny pieces of the trim to glue together for the corners of the table. Then we caulked the seams and sanded. We also screwed the table together where it would usually pull apart for a leaf.



Next came spray painting and varnishing the table top.

 

The real fun begins! We layed most of the junk out on the table and placed it where we wanted it. We then did a layer of Mod Podge to keep all of the items where they belonged.


Mixing and pouring the resin. So much fun!!




This is after a layer of resin. We ended up doing 7 layers (7 gallons) of resin! After each layer, we added more junk. After each resin pour, we would pop bubbles that came up for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Then the resin would be set enough to start putting in more junk.






You may ask how long all of this took us? We started the process on a Wednesday night and poured the last layer of resin the following Wednesday. Now, since you are all just dying to put all of the junk in your house into a table, I'll give you some pointers of what I learned and what I would have done differently.
*I would not use a black background or put more things down on the bottom to hide most of the black. The reason being that many objects don't show up well against the black once the resin is on.

*We used way too much Mod Podge for what we were doing. (I omitted that picture) I would use a very thin layer of Mod Podge for papers, fabrics and the like that are directly on top of the table so that they don't shift when pouring the resin. Dry completely. Then use a very thin layer of resin to stick objects directly into. You don't want to use Mod Podge on metals or edibles.

*We built the table up one inch. Three-quarters of an inch would have been sufficent.

*MORE JUNK!!!! When all was said and done, I wanted even more junk to embed in the table! Can you believe it?

Things I love about this finished project:

*Hundreds of memories and stories are embedded in our kitchen table!

*The glow-in-the-dark junk.

*We really do sit around and play I Spy!

*One of a kind art!

23 comments:

  1. Wow! You've got a great blog here and that table is AMAZING! You might be interested in stopping by my site sometime. I host a link-up party on Tuesdays called Tot Tuesdays where you can link up crafts, activities, recipes, tips and anything else for toddlers. I'd love it if you'd stop by:

    http://www.mydeliciousambiguity.com/

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a FABULOUS idea! I love this project and I would love to make my own! What a creative way to put all your junk together! My son loves I Spy! Thanks so much for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is such a great and unique project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up to Tot Tuesdays! I’ll be featuring you this week so feel free to stop by and grab a Featured Button. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this! come on over and link up to MMM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow this is sooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I plan on doing this with as well, with a variation. Were did you get your resin?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The resin came from Lowe's. I have also got it from amazon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is simply stunning. So creative and fun! I bet you guys have some good times around that table! I would love to do this. Thanks for your instructions and pointers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am almost crying. Thank you so much for this!!! My Christmas tree fell TWICE in the night and MOST of my ornaments are broken. I saw one and in my head said "that was the big blue ball I got to repalace the other big blue ball that broke many years ago, to replace the one i got with my name on it when I was little". The the HUGE Mickey Mouse from the vacation from hell in Florida-kid had the flu, hotel was aweful, flight all messed up. The point is that I just can not throw away the headless Santas I've been collecting from Lenox for years and even more so I can not loose the memories I have. I looked into Mosiac crafts but I would have to "smash" the bits i have left. I just dont know that I could do that. So thank you, thank you, thank you for giving me the idea, knowledge, and tips for making my own Christmas table which in it self will be a conversation piece about the year the Elf On The Shelf knocked the tree down not once, but twice, ruining what I thought was everything.....but may have been a slight blessing in memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am thinking about making a table. I really liked the black - why would you recommend a different color? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found that the black made many objects hard to see once the resin was poured. They blended too much with the background. A lighter color makes the objects more visable for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What type of resin do you use? Where do you get it? How much did you need to cover the table? And is it expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used Famowood Glaze Coat Pour-On Epoxy Coating. I ordered it from Amazon. I have also found it at Lowe's. For the table shown, we used 7 gallons, so yes, it was expensive. For the little I Spy table that I have on my blog, I only used 1 and a half gallons. It was a much smaller table and I built up the side 3/4" as oppossed to 1".

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much. I had started this and was just told by Famowood that because I hadn't laminated my mementos I was really at risk for ruining them! I was wondering if Mod Podge would work and it looks like it does! You saved my project!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am planning a remember when corner in my house and your project is absolutely amazing !! Thank you so much for sharing im definitely going to do something like it but I am thinking to use things that have a memory associated with them like disneyland pins, dried flowers from weddings I've been in, hospital bracelets ... a memory I Spy board. Thank you for the inspiation!! So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this!! I was thinking of something to do to my great grandmothers old table that broke and we had to bolt it together (where the leaf goes in) so now there are huge bolts on each end of the table! My question is, are you still able to eat on the table? i didn't see where you put a glass piece on top to cover it. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Actually, this is our main table so we eat on it for every meal. I usually put a table cloth over the top when we're eating to protect the surface but you could get clear vinyl to cover it to use to protect it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, we are going to do a kids table 35x22" w/ a 3/4" lip. How much epoxy do you think we will need? We are doing three for a school auction. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We are also going to make one for a school auction. Do you pour and let dry? Is anything needed to smooth the surface or does the epoxy level itself?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I recently came across this and started a table with our kids trinkets. This project has been a sense of therapy for me Given the times we are in right now with the stay at home order due to the virus. I have been going through all our children’s things I have saved through the years and now I am so glad I kept so much. It certainly has become a conversation piece and brings back so many wonderful memories of our children and family. Thank you for the wonderful idea. I still have to pour the Apoxy and waiting for warmer weather. Thanks again Dee Dolan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Insanely comprehensive :)

    Thank you so much,
    Now I have something to read during the holidays. This will take a while but well worth it like always
    You can read another one here Besttoolsbrand

    ReplyDelete